Welcome to Local Renewables Conference 2016!
Local Renewables 2016 - Energising the smart city and region
26-28 October 2016, Freiburg and Basel
The City of Freiburg, Germany, the City of Basel, Switzerland and ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability are pleased to inform you that the seventh edition of the Local Renewables Conference Series has been scheduled for next Autumn, 26-28 October 2016.
As the host city since the beginning of the series, the City of Freiburg will once more host this renowned annual conference. The 2016 conference will count with the cooperation with the City of Basel, a pioneer in the energy field at a the national and international level.
Global energy needs are set to increase 40% by 2030. In response, the EU Energy Union has recognised the importance of putting cities and regions central in making energy more secure, affordable and sustainable. European cities are searching for innovative ways of meeting energy demands whilst responding to citizen needs. Smart technologies are increasingly considered as appropriate solutions to improving citizens’ quality of life and responding to the EU climate and energy ambitions.
What will be addressed at the conference?
Energy provision and usage are core elements in the pursuit of a smart city. But the question arises whether a smart city can also be a sustainable city.
- What role can, and should, smart technologies play in the search for improved energy efficiency and quality of life in a city?
- What are the opportunities and limitations of new technologies for urban energy transformation?
- What is the role of social innovation and citizen engagement?
Why attend Local Renewables 2016?
The Local Renewables Conferences Series is designed as a platform that brings current challenges and the latest solutions to a diverse international audience. The conference will bring together leading and learning cities, policy-makers from European and national governments, business, research and finance institutions, and will showcase practical and innovative examples of how to reduce energy use, as well as how to make best use of energy sources in the region.
Participants have the opportunity to:
- Meet solution providers that can help address your challenge
- Engage in plenary sessions and break-out sessions with highly interactive panel discussions
- Network with other energy experts and city representatives
- Develop, share and exchange ideas